Agriculture is a prominent feature of the local economy, as well as wholesale and retail services in and around the town. Various kinds of high-speed car racing and testing takes place on the roads, tracks and airport runway in or near the town.
Towns: Upington, Kakamas, Kenhardt, Groblershoop, Postmasberg.
The Orange River supports a thriving agricultural sector and a growing tourism sector. The investment climate is ripe for tourism along the Orange River and attractions such as the Augrabies Falls.
Upington is already a busy town with processing facilities for agricultural products. The planned development of a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in the town and next to Upington International Airport will boost manufacturing. The main targeted sectors are in the renewable energy sector, for example, solar panels.
The processing of wine and dried fruit represents one of the biggest manufacturing activities in the province. Mining activities take place in Kgatelopele, where diamonds and lime are found. Together with sheep and cattle farming, mining provides most employment. The diamond mine at Finsch is Petra Diamonds’ newest and largest acquisition.
- Upington Special Economic Zone
- Upington Cargo and Electronics hub: SKA, renewable energy and aircraft storage
- Upington International Airport
- Orange River Smallholder Farmer Settlement and Development Programme
- Tourism: wine tours, adventure and hunting
- Upington vehicle testing site
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO).